Orthodontics 101: Questions That Moms and Dads Often Ask Us About Braces & Orthodontic Treatment
At What Age Should My Child First See An Orthodontist In PA For Braces?
According to the American Association of Orthodontists, children should get their first orthodontic checkup by the age of seven. Some orthodontists routinely begin treating children at an earlier age. We don’t. Why? Because years of experience and research inform us that most children will not gain anything by having orthodontic treatment before they reach second grade. Infrequently, a family physician asks us to see a younger child to professionally evaluate their little teeth and jaws, but most parents who bring their small kids to see us feel relieved to hear that treatment can wait for a while.
If you’re wondering whether your own young child would benefit from seeing us prior to second grade, please contact us for more information at 610.865.2777 or visit our contact page. One of our friendly Sparkologists will happily answer any of your questions and schedule an appointment, if that seems best. Come experience Spark Orthodontics! You will see we offer affordable braces in Reading, PA, Camp Hill, PA, Harrisburg, PA, Bethlehem, PA, Schnecksville, PA, Schuylkill Haven, PA, Lancaster, PA, York, PA, Hazleton, PA, Danville, PA and Freeland, PA.
Could My Child Have One Of These Common Orthodontic Problems?
You’ve probably heard the terms overbite or underbite before. As a kid, you may even have used the term “buck teeth” yourself. We call a person’s perfect bite an “occlusion.” Do you know how often these occur naturally? Almost never! Most children have one or more of the problems listed below to some degree, and it’s definitely not their fault!
Sometimes a child can blame a “bad bite” on their genes. At other times, they may develop one from thumb-sucking, nail-biting, or other childhood habits. Crowded or protruding teeth can also create problems. We call these misalignments “malocclusions,” and we at Spark Orthodontics fix them to create flawless, lifelong smiles for the kids we see and love. But, left untreated, a child’s malocclusions can lead to more serious problems. We suggest you review the list below. If you observe any of the following, please contact us to set up a free preliminary evaluation!
- Crossbite: If your child has a crossbite, their upper teeth sit inside their lower teeth on one side when they bite down. Similar to an underbite, front top teeth can also fall behind lower teeth. Without having treatment, children with crossbites can develop receding gums, TMJ, loose teeth, worn-down tooth enamel and a “crooked” face and jaw.
- Crowding: When a child’s mouth does not have enough room for his or her teeth, those teeth begin to crowd together. We can sometimes solve this common problem by removing a tooth or two. At other times, we may be able to fix it simply by expanding the jaws with a small appliance.
- Midlines: A dental midline refers to the line between our two upper and lower front teeth. If these four teeth don’t meet just right, a child’s backbite will not match and fit properly. Over time, this will lead to problems with the way their jaws function.
- Openbite: We say children have an openbite when their lower and upper front teeth have no overlap. Children who suck their thumbs or continually thrust their tongues against their front teeth are especially prone to developing this common problem.
- Overbite: Children with overbites have upper front teeth that extend out over their lower front teeth. This can result in biting or chewing difficulties. A child with a really severe overbite could even feel their lower front teeth biting into the roof of their small mouths.
- Protrusion: Children with protruding teeth frequently get teased on the playground. Their upper or lower teeth point too far forward, which affects the way their small jaw functions and the way they look and smile.
- Spacing: Children frequently have gaps between their teeth. For baby teeth, this doesn’t present much of a problem. If their secondary teeth grow with gaps between, we can help. For the most part, parents wish us to address the problem so that their children will feel more confident about their appearance.
- Underbite: When a child’s lower jaw sticks out and their lower front teeth sit inside the uppers, we refer to it as an underbite.
Left untreated, these problems can lead to jaw pain, wear and tear on precious tooth enamel, more opportunities for tooth decay and periodontal disease, speech problems, and low self-esteem. If you believe your child has any of the conditions above, please contact us to schedule a free Spark Smile Assessment at 610.865.2777. We offer a free, no-obligation initial consultation for braces, together with an unsurpassed, smile guarantee!
Straight Teeth 30-50% Faster! What Should I Know About SPARK Accelerated Treatment?
Did you know that our staff at Spark Orthodontics can cut the time your child spends in braces by 30 – 50%? This option is available for most of our braces. Click here to learn more!
What Is AcceleDent?
AcceleDent is a FDA-cleared, portable device that aids in your orthodontic treatment process. Originally designed to simply accelerate the speed of treatment by gently vibrating the teeth, there have been many additional benefits discovered along the way. Read about one of our treatment coordinator’s experience with braces here!
Award-Winning Orthodontists for Braces in Reading, PA, Camp Hill, PA, Harrisburg, PA, Bethlehem, PA, Schnecksville, PA, Schuylkill Haven, PA, Lancaster, PA, York, PA, Hazleton, PA, Danville, PA & Freeland, PA
Get The Smile You've Always Dreamed Of!
Spark Orthodontics can help you or your loved one achieve a smile that benefits dental health as much as it increases confidence. However, we want you to feel confident that your choice in a PA orthodontist, is the right one. Follow the steps below and get that smile you have always dreamed of.
- Instantly Download his Report: Top 10 Things You Need to Know Before Choosing an Orthodontist in Pennsylvania.
- Please call 610.865.2777 to ask questions or set up your free Spark Smile Assessment!
- Contact one of our orthodontic offices in Reading, Bethlehem, Schnecksville, Schuylkill Haven, Lancaster, York, Danville, Hazleton or Freeland, PA, via our online form.