All of us here at Spark Orthodontics of Reading, PA have heard the expression “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure”. Taking this to heart can make our teeth stronger and brighter if we eat the right foods to support that healthy smile.
Even though veneers, crowns, and fillings, along with professional whitening can make your teeth stronger and brighter, it’s best to avoid cavities and stains altogether with regular brushing, flossing, and just as important…eating the right foods.
Here is a list of 5 dental friendly foods to prevent and even reverse damage to your teeth.
- Dairy Products – We all know milk and dairy products are our primary source of calcium, which builds strong tooth enamel and bones. Dairy products, contain casein, a type of protein found especially in cheese. Research reports that caseins, combined with calcium, contribute to stabilizing and repairing tooth enamel.
- Leafy Vegetables and High Fiber Foods – Eating a salad or dish of beans requires a lot of chewing and a great way to wash your teeth. Biting into an apple scrubs your teeth also. Chewing generates saliva and the food scrubs your teeth as you chew it into little pieces. It’s like a tooth cleaning dog treat.
- Strawberries for Whitening Teeth – Strawberries contain malic acid and are a natural whitening agent.
- Sugarless Gum – Sugarless gum helps clean teeth by stimulating saliva production when you chew. Saliva aids in washing away acids created by bacteria in your mouth. Also, many types of sugarless gum are sweetened with xylitol, an alcohol that reduces bacteria in the mouth as you chew. At Spark Orthodontics of Reading, PA we do not recommend chewing gum while wearing braces, but once removed, sugarless gum can help maintain your beautiful new smile!
- Good Old Fashioned WATER – Water helps wash away food, sugar and acid after you eat. In most areas it also contains fluoride, a mineral that protects against tooth erosion. Did you know that fluoride occurs naturally in water, including some natural spring water? Across the United States, most communities fortify their water with fluoride also.
Changing our eating habits to reflect a healthier lifestyle is not easy but it is very much worth the effort.
This information is not meant as medical advice. It is provided solely for education. Our Reading orthodontic office would be pleased to discuss your unique circumstances and needs as they relate to these topics.
Specializing In Invisalign, Clear Ceramic Braces, Metal Braces & Orthodontic Treatment In Reading, Bethlehem, Schuylkill Haven, Schnecksville, PA, Lancaster, PA, York, PA, Hazleton, PA, Danville, PA & Freeland, PA
Dr. Jason Hartman, an award-winning orthodontist in Reading, PA offers the most advanced braces for children, teens and adults, including Invisalign, clear ceramic braces, metal braces and orthodontic treatment. Contact us today for a free Invisalign consultation and exam at one of our PA orthodontic offices. With nine convenient orthodontic offices located in Reading, PA, Bethlehem, PA, Schuylkill Haven, PA, Schnecksville, PA, Lancaster, PA, York, PA, Hazleton, PA, Danville, PA and Freeland, PA, there is sure to be an office conveniently located near you. Call us today for a complimentary consultation for braces at any of our nine orthodontic offices in PA!
Contact Our Reading, PA Orthodontic Office: 610.735.0177
Contact Our Bethlehem, PA Orthodontic Office: 610.223.7777
Contact Our Schuylkill Haven, PA Orthodontic Office: 570.385.1344
Contact Our Schnecksville, PA Orthodontic Office: 610.735.0177
Contact Our Lancaster, PA Orthodontic Office: 717.295.9779
Contact Our York, PA Orthodontic Office: 717.848.4599
Contact Our Hazleton, PA Orthodontic Office: 570.455.5011
Contact Our Danville, PA Orthodontic Office: 570.275.6075
Contact Our Freeland, PA Orthodontic Office: 570.636.1101
Get The Smile You've Always Dreamed Of!
Spark Orthodontics can help you or your loved one achieve a smile that benefits dental health as much as it increases confidence. However, we want you to feel confident that your choice in an orthodontist in PA, is the right one. Follow the steps below and get that smile you have always dreamed of.
- Instantly Download his Report: Top 10 Things You Need to Know Before Choosing an Orthodontist in Pennsylvania.
- Please call 610.223.7777 to ask questions or set up your free Spark Smile Assessment!
- Contact one of our orthodontic offices in Reading, Camp Hill, Harrisburg, Bethlehem, Schnecksville, Schuylkill Haven, Lancaster, York, Danville, Hazleton or Freeland, PA, via our online form.