Some parents at Bethlehem Orthodontics ask top-rated Bethlehem orthodontist, Dr. Jason Hartman if stopping a child’s nail biting habit is another positive effect of orthodontic treatment. Since nail biting can be harmful to braces by breaking brackets and bending wires that delays treatment, your Bethlehem orthodontist feels that finding ways to curtail the habit is in our patient’s best interest.
Here are a few facts about nail biting… technically called “Onychophagia”.
- About 30 percent of children aged 7-10 bite their nails
- About 45 percent of teenagers bite their nails
- About 25 percent of young adults bite their nails
- Only about five percent of older adults bite their nails
Nail biting is considered to be a stress induced habit that peaks during the teenage years and usually is overcome as an adult. Besides the fact it can damage braces during treatment if the habit persists, it can be harmful in different ways:
- Your fingers are pretty much involved in almost everything you do and they are a walking germ fest. Your fingernails are twice as dirty as your fingers. When you bite your nails… do you need to read more?
- If nail biting is severe and involves the cuticles and breaks the skin, the germs transfer from the mouth to the open wound and can cause infection.
- It is also a poor reflection on a person’s image. No one likes to watch a person bite their nails, especially a teenager or adult. Bitten nails are far from attractive in comparison to manicured nails, especially in the business world.
- Teeth are not meant to chew all the time. Nail biting tends to keep your teeth in constant motion, which can wear them down faster than a non-nail biter’s. It places stress on front teeth, can weaken them, and may contribute to the teeth becoming crooked or misaligned.
The good news is many orthodontic patients report that they are unable to continue their habit while wearing braces, which leads to breaking the habit. As your bite changes during treatment, their teeth no longer come together correctly. After a couple years of braces, patients usually lose the urge to bite their nails and generally overcome the problem.
Whether you have braces or starting orthodontic treatment, breaking the habit of nail biting is a good choice. It is healthier not to bite your nails and your orthodontist in Bethlehem, PA suggests you keep them trimmed well during treatment. Contact our Bethlehem orthodontic office with any questions or to schedule a complimentary initial exam.
This information is not meant as medical advice. It is provided solely for education. Our orthodontic office in Bethlehem, PA would be pleased to discuss your unique circumstances and needs as they relate to these topics.
Specializing In Invisalign, Clear Ceramic Braces, & Metal Braces In Bethlehem, PA
Top-rated Bethlehem, PA Orthodontist, Dr. Jason Hartman of Spark Orthodontics offers the most advanced braces for children, teens and adults, including Invisalign, clear ceramic braces, metal braces and orthodontic treatment. Contact us today for a free Invisalign consultation and exam at one of our PA orthodontic offices. With nine convenient orthodontic offices located in Bethlehem, PA, Schuylkill Haven, PA, Temple, PA, Schnecksville, PA, Lancaster, PA, York, PA, Hazleton, PA, Danville, PA and Freeland, PA, there is sure to be an office conveniently located near you. Call us today for a complimentary consultation for braces at any of our nine orthodontic offices in PA!
Contact Our Bethlehem, PA Orthodontic Office: 610.223.7777
Contact Our Schuylkill Haven, PA Orthodontic Office: 570.385.1344
Contact Our Temple, PA Orthodontic Office: 610.735.0177
Contact Our Schnecksville, PA Orthodontic Office: 610.735.0177 Contact Our Lancaster, PA Orthodontic Office: 717.295.9779
Contact Our York, PA Orthodontic Office: 717.848.4599
Contact Our Hazleton, PA Orthodontic Office: 570.455.5011
Contact Our Danville, PA Orthodontic Office: 570.275.6075
Contact Our Freeland, PA Orthodontic Office: 570.636.1101
Get The Smile You've Always Dreamed Of!
Spark Orthodontics can help you or your loved one achieve a smile that benefits dental health as much as it increases confidence. However, we want you to feel confident that your choice in an orthodontist in PA, is the right one. Follow the steps below and get that smile you have always dreamed of.
- Instantly Download his Report: Top 10 Things You Need to Know Before Choosing an Orthodontist in Pennsylvania.
- Please call 610.223.7777 to ask questions or set up your free Spark Smile Assessment!
- Contact one of our orthodontic offices in Reading, Camp Hill, Harrisburg, Bethlehem, Schnecksville, Schuylkill Haven, Lancaster, York, Danville, Hazleton or Freeland, PA, via our online form.