Most people think that simple cases of crooked teeth are the main issues that orthodontists deal with. However, there are many different types of bite problems, misalignments, and spacing issues that can come up. Our Camp Hill orthodontists explain some common orthodontic issues that patients are treated for in our office!
Malocclusion is a condition where the teeth do not fit together properly, otherwise known as a bad bite. There are different types of malocclusion. Improperly fitting teeth can be genetic, or a result of thumb-sucking and mouth breathing as a child.
Types of malocclusions we treat:
- Overbite: the upper front teeth extend over the lower front teeth
- Crossbite: the upper teeth sit inside the lower teeth
- Open bite: the upper and lower teeth do not overlap
- Underbite: the lower jaw is extended, forcing the lower teeth to sit on top of the upper teeth
- Protrusion: the upper teeth are extended forward, impacting bite function
Malocclusions can be treated by our orthodontists with a variety of treatment options, from traditional braces to corrective surgery, if necessary.
Crowding, Wear, and Periodontal Disease
Crowding is a problem that most people are familiar with–the teeth simply didn’t have enough space to grow in, forcing them together and making them crooked. This can be corrected with expansion and braces.
Excessive tooth wear is something that orthodontic patients sometimes experience. Malocclusion can cause patients to grind or clench their teeth in reaction to the misalignment. This can lead to premature wearing of enamel, possible tooth decay, and periodontal disease.
Taking care of these issues as early as possible is important for the most successful treatment outcomes. There are various treatments that can be offered for your specific problem, such as:
- Metal braces
- Oral surgery
Depending on your specific case, our orthodontist will work with you to get you the perfect treatment plan!
Contact Our Camp Hill Orthodontists Today To Schedule An Appointment!
The information provided in this article is not meant to be medical advice and is for educational purposes only. If you would like to learn more about this and other topics related to orthodontics, feel free to contact Spark Orthodontics, with a convenient orthodontic office in Camp Hill by clicking here or by calling 610.850.9674.
Get The Smile You've Always Dreamed Of!
Spark Orthodontics can help you or your loved one achieve a smile that benefits dental health as much as it increases confidence. However, we want you to feel confident that your choice in an orthodontist in PA, is the right one. Follow the steps below and get that smile you have always dreamed of.
- Instantly Download his Report: Top 10 Things You Need to Know Before Choosing an Orthodontist in Pennsylvania.
- Please call 610.223.7777 to ask questions or set up your free Spark Smile Assessment!
- Contact one of our orthodontic offices in Reading, Camp Hill, Harrisburg, Bethlehem, Schnecksville, Schuylkill Haven, Lancaster, York, Danville, Hazleton or Freeland, PA, via our online form.