At our orthodontic office near Pottsville, PA, we don’t have to tell you that keeping your teeth clean during treatment is very important. Braces have a habit of collecting additional food while eating that can cause a multitude of problems if not cared for correctly.
So you don’t offend others with unsightly food caught on your braces, or to avoid bad breath, swollen gums, decalcification or discoloring of teeth and cavities, here are are five tooth brushing tips from Pottsville, PA orthodontist, Dr. Jason Hartman and our team for orthodontic patients to keep in mind while wearing braces:
- There is more to brush than what you see. Pottsville orthodontists understand that most patients spend their time brushing the parts of their teeth and the braces they can see. However, it’s just as important to clean the inside areas of your teeth as well as the chewing surface of each tooth. Brush all surfaces inside, outside, along the top of the teeth and the gum line for best results. Watch this video on how to brush your teeth correctly with braces.
- Make sure you spend enough time doing a good job. Did you know the ADA recommends you brush your teeth for approximately three minutes to do a good job… even if you aren’t wearing braces? At one point you may have received a three minute egg timer to time brushing from your dentist. It seems like the time will never end when watching the grains of salt flow to the bottom. Most popular songs today are approximately three minutes long. Listen to an ipod or radio while you are brushing instead of using a timer. If you start brushing at the beginning of a song… and stop when over… you can dance around for three minutes while brushing, without the time dragging.
- Use dental floss often. Food is often trapped between teeth and flossing with braces is easier with a floss threader, especially when trying to thread the floss under your main wire. Watch this video on how to floss correctly. Dental floss threaders save time and are very easy to use once you get the hang of it. They are available in the toothbrush aisle in any grocery or drug store.
- Be prepared. In order to brush after every meal you must be prepared. Always keep a toothbrush in your purse, backpack, or laptop case. The TOOB brush was designed with orthodontic patients in mind. It’s easy to use, you can refill it with your own toothpaste, and it travels anywhere.
- Regular dental cleanings and checkups are still important. It’s your job to take care of the everyday cleaning. However, we recommend you visit your dentist and your Pottsville orthodontist regularly while wearing braces to eliminate any plaque you may have missed while brushing or using dental floss.
Be sure to discuss any questions you have about cleaning your braces with your Pottsville orthodontist.
This information is not meant as medical advice. It is provided solely for education. Our Pottsville, PA area orthodontic office would be pleased to discuss your unique circumstances and needs as they relate to these topics.
Meet Spark Orthodontics
Specializing In Cleaning Braces — Provider Of Invisalign, Clear Ceramic Braces, Metal Braces & Orthodontics Near Pottsville, PA
Dr. Jason Hartman, an award-winning orthodontist near Pottsville, PA offers the most advanced braces for children, teens and adults, including Invisalign, clear ceramic braces, metal braces and orthodontics. Contact us today for a complimentary consultation and exam for braces at one of our orthodontic offices in PA. With nine convenient orthodontic offices located in Bethlehem, PA, Lancaster, PA, Schuylkill Haven, PA, Temple, PA, Schnecksville, PA, York, PA, Hazleton, PA, Danville, PA and Freeland, PA there is sure to be an office conveniently located near you. Start your journey to your confident smile today!
Contact Our Bethlehem, PA Orthodontic Office: 610.223.7777
Contact Our Lancaster, PA Orthodontic Office: 717.295.9779
Contact Our Schuylkill Haven, PA Orthodontic Office: 570.385.1344
Contact Our Temple, PA Orthodontic Office: 610.735.0177
Contact Our Schnecksville, PA Orthodontic Office: 610.735.0177
Contact Our York, PA Orthodontic Office: 717.848.4599
Contact Our Hazleton, PA Orthodontic Office: 570.455.5011
Contact Our Danville, PA Orthodontic Office: 570.275.6075
Contact Our Freeland, PA Orthodontic Office: 570.636.1101
Get The Smile You've Always Dreamed Of!
Spark Orthodontics can help you or your loved one achieve a smile that benefits dental health as much as it increases confidence. However, we want you to feel confident that your choice in an orthodontist in PA, is the right one. Follow the steps below and get that smile you have always dreamed of.
- Instantly Download his Report: Top 10 Things You Need to Know Before Choosing an Orthodontist in Pennsylvania.
- Please call 610.223.7777 to ask questions or set up your free Spark Smile Assessment!
- Contact one of our orthodontic offices in Reading, Camp Hill, Harrisburg, Bethlehem, Schnecksville, Schuylkill Haven, Lancaster, York, Danville, Hazleton or Freeland, PA, via our online form.