There are many types of malocclusion (misalignment of the teeth) that patients suffer from. An underbite is one of these conditions. An underbite is the type of malocclusion where your lower teeth sit in front of your upper teeth when your mouth is closed. Orthodontics can help treat this condition, but what types of braces will work? We have answers to your questions from our expert for Invisalign® in York, PA, below.
What Is An Underbite?
An underbite can be caused by the lower jaw itself being too far forward, forcing your lower teeth to rest in front of your upper teeth. This pushes your jaw and chin out, affecting the way your face looks. If this type of underbite is severe, it generally requires some type of surgery.
Other cases have more of a root in malocclusion and can be corrected by altering the placement of your teeth with other types of orthodontic treatment.
What Problems Can An Underbite Cause?
The issue with any malocclusion is that it usually causes the teeth to grind against each other, leading to loss of enamel and a higher risk of tooth decay. This condition can cause other issues, including:
- Problems with eating and talking
- Premature wearing down of teeth
- Dissatisfaction with facial/jaw structure
How Is An Underbite Treated?
Treatment depends on the cause and severity of the underbite. Braces have been traditionally used in combination with any necessary surgery. However, with modern orthodontics, Invisalign® can be used to treat types of malocclusion in place of metal braces, including underbites! The benefits of Invisalign are many:
- Clear, virtually invisible trays
- Removable, allowing you to continue to enjoy your favorite foods
- Quick treatment times
- No brackets, wires, or tightening
Invisalign is a great discreet option to treat your underbite. Ask our orthodontist today!
Contact Our Expert for Invisalign in York, PA, To Find Out More!
The information provided in this article is not meant to be medical advice and is for educational purposes only. If you would like to learn more about this and other topics related to orthodontics, feel free to contact Spark Orthodontics, with a convenient orthodontic office in York, PA, by clicking here or by calling 610.850.9674.
Get The Smile You've Always Dreamed Of!
Spark Orthodontics can help you or your loved one achieve a smile that benefits dental health as much as it increases confidence. However, we want you to feel confident that your choice in an orthodontist in PA, is the right one. Follow the steps below and get that smile you have always dreamed of.
- Instantly Download his Report: Top 10 Things You Need to Know Before Choosing an Orthodontist in Pennsylvania.
- Please call 610.865.2777 to ask questions or set up your free Spark Smile Assessment!
- Contact one of our orthodontic offices in Reading, Camp Hill, Harrisburg, Bethlehem, Schnecksville, Schuylkill Haven, Lancaster, York, Danville, Hazleton or Freeland, PA, via our online form.