Our Lehigh Valley Orthodontics Expert Discusses Crooked Teeth
If you or your child has already had an evaluation with your Lehigh Valley orthodontics expert, then you might have heard the word “malocclusion.” This orthodontic issue is a common reason for children and adults to receive braces or Invisalign treatment. What exactly IS a malocclusion, though? Our Lehigh Valley orthodontist is here to explain!
What Is a Malocclusion?
To understand what a malocclusion is, it helps to break the word down into its two key parts:
- “mal-“ – The prefix “mal-” comes from Latin and means “bad” or “wrong.”
- “occlusion” – The word “occlusion” is a fancy orthodontic term that simply means “straight teeth.”
When you put the two parts together – mal-occlusion – you end up with a term that means “bad straight teeth,” aka teeth that don’t meet up the way they’re supposed to when you bite down.
Not All Malocclusions Are Equally Bad – Our Orthodontist Explains
There is a wide spectrum of malocclusions that can vary in their severity. There are two key questions you should ask your Lehigh Valley orthodontics team if you’ve been told you have a malocclusion.
What TYPE of Malocclusion Do You Have?
Do you have an overbite, underbite, crossbite, or open bite? The type of treatment recommended by your orthodontist will depend on the answer to this question.
What CLASS of Malocclusion Do You Have?
Your class of malocclusion mainly refers to how severe it is. There are three classes:
- Class I – A small degree of overbite, where your top teeth slightly overlap your bottom teeth. This is the most common class seen by orthodontists and can typically be treated with braces or Invisalign.
- Class II – A severe overbite, which orthodontists also refer to as a “retrognathic malocclusion.”
- Class III – A severe underbite, where your bottom teeth extend further out than your top teeth. This class is also called a “prognathic malocclusion.”
Call Our Lehigh Valley Orthodontics Team at Spark Orthodontics to Learn More
Do you believe you or your child suffers from a malocclusion such as an overbite or underbite? Our experienced orthodontics team in Lehigh Valley, PA, can help! Call us today for a comprehensive exam and consultation with our 5-star-rated orthodontist.
The information in this article is not meant to be medical advice and is for educational purposes only. If you would like to learn more about this and other topics related to orthodontics, contact Spark Orthodontics, with a convenient location near Lehigh Valley, PA, by calling 610.865.2777 or clicking here.
Get The Smile You've Always Dreamed Of!
Spark Orthodontics can help you or your loved one achieve a smile that benefits dental health as much as it increases confidence. However, we want you to feel confident that your choice in an orthodontist in PA, is the right one. Follow the steps below and get that smile you have always dreamed of.
- Instantly Download his Report: Top 10 Things You Need to Know Before Choosing an Orthodontist in Pennsylvania.
- Please call 610.865.2777 to ask questions or set up your free Spark Smile Assessment!
- Contact one of our orthodontic offices in Reading, Camp Hill, Harrisburg, Bethlehem, Schnecksville, Schuylkill Haven, Lancaster, York, Danville, Hazleton or Freeland, PA, via our online form.