The Braces Come Off. Now What?
Congratulations! Your son or daughter has reached a milestone in their orthodontic treatment!!
When we remove your child’s braces, we begin the retention stage. This phase will last for at least 24 months. Wearing retainers faithfully is the only way to ensure your son or daughter will be able to flash that new, beautiful smile for the rest of their lives. Encourage them to follow through with the hard work they put in so far. Remind them faithfully to take out their retainer before brushing, and brush their retainer before putting it back in their mouth. Here are some other important things to remember:
- Retainers are continually used forever, and your child’s teeth will move if they stop wearing their retainers.
- They will begin by wearing them around the clock, and then progress to wearing them only at night.
- If your son or daughter complains that their retainer feels tight after they have left it out for a day, please tell them they need to wear it longer.
- Make sure they take their retainers out when eating – and always store them in their case at meal times. School lunch rooms and restaurants are famous for gobbling up kid’s retainers!
- Check to see that your child cleans their retainers thoroughly once each day using cold water, a toothbrush, and toothpaste. Otherwise they run the risk of getting bad breath or cavities from accumulated plaque and bacteria. They can use Efferdent or another orthodontic appliance cleaner – but only in addition to brushing!
- Remind your son or daughter to ALWAYS store retainers in their case when they’re not wearing them. Otherwise, the retainer may get bent or broken, or even chewed by the family pet!
- Your child may find it hard to speak when we first put their retainers in. Encourage them to sing in the shower, read the cereal box aloud, or call a friend. This will help them get used to wearing the retainer faster.
- Retainers do break, so remind your child to treat it carefully. If they should lose or break it, please call us right away.
- If you have any questions or concerns about your child’s retainers, or they need adjusting, call us. Do not try to adjust them yourself!
- Make sure they always bring their retainers with them to orthodontic appointments.
- Replacing retainers costs a lot of money, but caring for them properly will ensure they’ll last for many years.
- Your child should always remove retainers when swimming and playing sports.
- Check your child’s pockets before doing laundry, and always remind them to check their napkins after eating. Most retainers get lost after meals. Hot dashboards can also ruin a good retainer!
Want to reduce your kid’s time in braces by 30-50%? Spark Orthodontics now offers braces with SPARK Accelerated Treatment. Learn more!
Get The Smile You've Always Dreamed Of!
Spark Orthodontics can help you or your loved one achieve a smile that benefits dental health as much as it increases confidence. However, we want you to feel confident that your choice in a PA orthodontist, is the right one. Follow the steps below and get that smile you have always dreamed of.
- Instantly Download his Report: Top 10 Things You Need to Know Before Choosing an Orthodontist in Pennsylvania.
- Please call 610.223.7777 to ask questions or set up your free Spark Smile Assessment!
- Contact one of our orthodontic offices in Reading, Camp Hill, Harrisburg, Bethlehem, Schnecksville, Pottsville, Lancaster, York, Danville, or Hazleton, PA, via our online form.