Many parents in the Lehigh Valley, PA area, aren’t getting the message that sugary drinks, other than soda, are not healthy alternatives for your kids. As orthodontic treatment providers, we are not only concerned the added sugar is unhealthy in our kids diets, the drinks also promote decalcification or permanent white marks around brackets if patients are not brushing or rinsing their mouths after drinking.
The Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity at the University of Connecticut recently published a new study in public health nutrition in March 2015. The report was funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, which focuses on improving health and health care.
Did you know that the most recent federal dietary guidelines recommend limiting added sugar to 10% of total calories? So if a juice box is 50 calories, the sugar content should be 5 grams to pass muster.
Some interesting statistics found in the Rudd Study are:
- Nearly half of parents surveyed rated flavored waters healthy, and more than one quarter considered fruit drinks and sports drinks to be healthy.
- The most common sugary drinks the parents give kids are fruit drinks. These were given by 77% of parents in the past month and some 80% of parents of children to age 2 to 5 provided fruit drinks such as Capri Sun and Sunny D which do not meet federal dietary guidelines.
- The vast majority of parents surveyed stated they give kids sugary drinks regularly with 96% of parents in the month prior to the survey.
- Parents stated they were influenced by nutritional marketing claims stating the ingredients are real or natural or contained vitamins, antioxidants, or were low in sugar, sodium, and calories.
Our orthodontists understand that kids and teens by nature will always choose the sweetened drink over good old fashioned water. Curtailing the amount of sugary drinks you allow your children to consume on a regular basis by being smart about what you purchase and distribute at home will go a long way in teaching your kids good nutritional habits and healthy lifestyles. And during orthodontic treatment in the Lehigh Valley, PA area, it will protect their teeth from the ravages of sugar deposits around the braces.
If you have questions or want to schedule a consultation, please contact Spark Orthodontics near Lehigh Valley, PA.
This information is not meant as medical advice. It is provided solely for education. Our practice would be pleased to discuss your unique circumstances and needs as they relate to these topics.
Specializing Braces in the Lehigh Valley, PA area
Award-winning PA Orthodontist, Dr. Jason Hartman of Spark Orthodontics offers the most advanced braces and orthodontic treatment. Contact us today for a free consultation and exam at one of our PA orthodontic offices. With nine convenient orthodontic offices located in Bethlehem, PA, Schuylkill Haven, PA, Temple, PA, Schnecksville, PA, Lancaster, PA, York, PA, Hazleton, PA, Danville, PA and Freeland, PA, there is sure to be an office conveniently located near you. Call us today for a complimentary consultation for braces at any of our nine orthodontic offices in PA!
Contact Our Reading, PA Orthodontic Office: 610.735.0177
Contact Our Bethlehem, PA Orthodontic Office: 610.865.2777
Contact Our Schuylkill Haven, PA Orthodontic Office: 570.385.1344
Contact Our Schnecksville, PA Orthodontic Office: 610.735.0177
Contact Our Lancaster, PA Orthodontic Office: 717.295.9779
Contact Our York, PA Orthodontic Office: 717.848.4599
Contact Our Hazleton, PA Orthodontic Office: 570.455.5011
Contact Our Danville, PA Orthodontic Office: 570.275.6075
Contact Our Freeland, PA Orthodontic Office: 570.636.1101
Get The Smile You've Always Dreamed Of!
Spark Orthodontics can help you or your loved one achieve a smile that benefits dental health as much as it increases confidence. However, we want you to feel confident that your choice in an orthodontist in PA, is the right one. Follow the steps below and get that smile you have always dreamed of.
- Instantly Download his Report: Top 10 Things You Need to Know Before Choosing an Orthodontist in Pennsylvania.
- Please call 610.865.2777 to ask questions or set up your free Spark Smile Assessment!
- Contact one of our orthodontic offices in Reading, Bethlehem, Schnecksville, Schuylkill Haven, Lancaster, York, Danville, Hazleton or Freeland, PA, via our online form.